Coe College Jazz Summit
Jazz Band Competition
February 23-25, 2017
Grand Finale Concert * February 25, 2017, 7:00 pm
Featuring the Coe College Jazz Ensemble
The Sinfonia Jazz Ensemble
Special guest artist:
photo by: ©john rogers 2013 www.johnrogersnyc.com
1220 First Avenue NE
Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52402
- 2017: Matt Wilson, drums
- 2016: Marques Carroll, trumpet
- 2015: The Quartet of Happiness
- 2014: Sherrie
Maricle, drumset, Tanya
- 2013: Michael Nelson, Trombone, Mark Maegdlin, organ
- 2012: Steve Allee, piano
- 2011: Virginia Mayhew,
Saxophone; Craig Boche, vocals
- 2010: Doug Talley, saxophone; Mark Maegdlin, organ
- 2009: Tommy Giampietro, drums, Rod Pierson, sax, faculty soloists: Al Naylor, trumpet, William Carson, clarinet
- 2008: The Quartet of Happiness
- 2007: Paul McKee, trombone; Eric Schmitz, composer
- 2006: The Southwest Horns (a jazz saxophone quintet)
- 2005: Fred Sturm, composer/conductor; Mark Urness, bass; Bob Long, saxophone
- 2004: Mike Vax, trumpet; Doug Talley, saxophone
- 2003: Dean Sorenson, trombonist/composer; Bob Baca, trumpet; Eric Allen, saxophone; Todd Munnik, saxophone; Bob Dunn, guitar.
- 2002: Ray Blue, Saxophone; Kirk Garrison, trumpet; Charged Particles: Jon Krosnick, drums; Caleb Hutslar, keyboards; Andy Woodson, bass.
- 2001: Virginia Mayhew, Saxophone; Audrey Morrison, Trombone; Mike Parkinson, Trumpet; Dan Knight, Piano; Bob Dunn, Guitar; Ric Swanson, Drums; Ray Blue, Saxophone, HORIZON US Navy Jazz Group.
- 2000: Delbert Bernabela, saxophone; Bob Dunn, guitar;
James Warrick, drums; Jae Sinnett, Percussion;
Allen Farnham, Piano; Terry Burrell, Bass; Brent Sandy, Trumpet; Ivan Quandus, Bass; RayBlue, Saxophone.
- 1999: Jeff Jarvis, trumpet; Ron Carter, saxophone; Len
King, trombone; Valerie Nicholson, piano; Bob Dunn,
bass and guitar; Dave Bayles, drums.
- 1998: Steve Wiest, trombone; Brent Sandy, trumpet; John DeSalme, Jr., saxophone; Reggie Thomas, piano; Bob Dunn, bass and guitar; Randy Kuehn, drums.
- 1997: Frank Mantooth, piano; Audrey Morrison, trombone; Art Davis, trumpet; Ron Carter, saxophone; Jim Warrick, drums; Bob Dunn, bass
- 1996: Byron Stripling, trumpet; Scott Bliege, trombone; Mike Kocour, piano; Ignacio Berroa, drums; Doug Talley, saxophone; and Bob Dunn, bass.
- 1995: Delbert Bernabela, saxophone; Victor Mestas, piano; Ivan Quandus, bass; Carlos Bislip, Jr., drums; Mike Parkinson, trumpet; and Ron Carter, saxophone.
- 1994: Jim Mair, saxophone; Ted DiSanti, trumpet; Jim Warrick, drums; and David Dunn, bass.
- 1993: Frank Mantooth, piano; Kim Park, saxophone; Tony Garcia, trombone; Paul McKee, trombone; Larry Kohut, bass; and Phil Gratteau, drums.
- 1992: Byron Stripling, trumpet; Lou Fischer, bass; Shelly Berg, piano; Alan Lawrence, drums; James Warrick, drums; and John Wojcik, trumpet.
Coe also has a long history of hosting jazz events in a concert setting. Guests have included Danny Barber, The Motion Poets, Richard Stoltzman, The United States Army Jazz Ambassadors, The Either/Orchestra, Bobby Shew, and Chick Corea with Bob Berg, John Patitucci and Gary Novak. And it's been a few years, but even the great Louis Armstrong has graced the stage of Sinclair Auditorium.
The Coe College Jazz
Summit is the place to be for Jazz at the end of
February. Jazz artists from around the nation convene
to work with high school and middle school jazz bands from
throughout the state and surrounding region, then
demonstrate their own expertise in concert with the Coe
College Gold Jazz Ensemble. Your students will receive
a clinic on your competition repertoire from one of the fine
Jazz Summit clinicians, as well as have the opportunity to
attend instrument clinics. Concert tickets are FREE when
ordered by mail before December 1, 2011. Plan now to
schedule your band for the Coe College Jazz Summit 2012.
FOR JAZZ SUMMIT CONCERT TICKETS
Interview with 2012 guest artist, Steve Allee
courtesy of 88.3 KCCK-FM