Timeline          Histories          
People Publications Events The Campus Athletics Daily Life






 

 

Timeline: 1891-1900

1891

  • Coe fields its first  football team, defeating the local Business College but losing its first game with Cornell.

  • Stephen W. Stookey joins the faculty as a professor of mathematics and engineering.

  • Campus undergoes a major beautification effort; planting of grass, trees, and flowers. 

1892

  • Old Main is outfitted with a steam heating system.

  • James W. Good, future U.S. Secretary of War, graduates from Coe.

1893

  • Coe competes in its first track meet; Coe's 6 men defeat 14 men from Lenox. 

  • Construction of track, football, and baseball field.

1895

  • During 1894-95 school year, a total of 150 books checked out of college library.

1896

1897

  • Samuel Black McCormick arrives in Cedar Rapids on 28 September to assume his role as third president of Coe College.

1898

  • Samuel Black McCormick establishes Alumni Association, followed by college's first successful endowment campaign.

1899

  • George Bryant, class of 1893, joins faculty; legendary Latin professor and "father of Coe athletics."

  • First issue of the Courier is published.

1900

  • Marshall Hall is constructed; houses the Coe Academy and college's four literary societies.

  • Bert Bailey, 1897 Coe graduate, returns to chair the Zoology Department.

 

Forward: 1901 to 1910
Back: 1881 to 1890

 
  Home Coe College Contact Us  

Copyright 2006
Coe College
1220 1st Avenue NE
Cedar Rapids, IA 52402