"I'm singin' for the love of it... have mercy on the man who sings to
be adored."--JOSH RITTER
I like several genres of music, just as I like
multiple flavors of pies. My favorite type of music is
"singer-songwriter," which is sort of contemporary folk music--less
polished and commercial than pop, more lyrical than rock, similar to
country but with a wider range of subject matter and again less
Other musical links:
Lyrics to folk
and pop songs
My annual list of Ten Notable Albums of 2015 and 2014 and 2013 and 2012
along with Favorite Tracks of 2000-09
The encyclopedic All
Music Guide site
one songs on Billboard's
pop chart for any date in history... along with the number ones in Britain
Or look at the whole U.S. top 40 chart for
any week 1955-1999
A handy classical music
Interesting local musical venue: CSPS, 1103 3rd St SE, Cedar
Rapids: big name acts in an intimate atmosphere, and an art gallery.
Most Played on my iTunes:
- "White Winter Hymnal," Fleet Foxes
- "One Day Like This," Elbow
- "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree," K.T. Tunstall
- "Emmylou," First Aid Kit
- "Sweet Home Alabama," Lynyrd Skynyrd
- "In a Big Country," Big Country
- "My Silver Lining," First Aid Kit
- "Dancing in the Dark," Bruce Springsteen
- "40 Day Dream," Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros
- "Home," Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros
- "Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick," Ian Dury and the Blockheads
- "I Heard It Through the Grapevine," Marvin Gaye
- "Harvest Moon," Neil Young
- "Disco 2000," Pulp
- "One Love/People Get Ready," Bob Marley and the Wailers
- "Exes and Ohs," Elle King
- "The Lion's Roar," First Aid Kit
- "There's a Guy Works Down the Chip Shop Swears He's Elvis,"
- "Down Under," Men at Work
- "Bloodbuzz Ohio," The National
- "Steve McQueen," Sheryl Crow
- "Sing," Travis
Recently purchased tracks on iTunes:
New CDs in 2016:
- "Back in the World," David Gray
- "Budapest," George Ezra
- "City of Dreams," Ben Harper and Ellen Harper
- "Coffee," Sylvan Esso
- "Down Down the Deep River," Okkervil River
- "8 Dogs 8 Banjos," Old Crow Medicine Show
- "Electric Love," Borns
- "Ex's and Oh's," Elle King
- "Eyes of the Muse," King Tuff
- "Global Warming," John Grant
- "Hundreds of Ways," Conor Oberst
- "Jackie and Wilson," Hozier
- "Joy to You Baby," Josh Ritter
- "Lavender," Ray LaMontagne
- "Little Talks," Of Monsters and Men
- "A New Life," Jim James
- "New York Morning," Elbow
- "Northern California Girls," Camper Van Beethoven
- "Out of the Game," Rufus Wainwright
- "The Perfect Life," Moby
- "Pretty Pimpin'," Kurt Vile
- "Same Love," Macklemore & Ryan Lewis fea. Mary Lambert
- "Simple Song," Shins
- "Take a Walk," Passion Pit
- "What Colour Are You," Danny Michel
- "Ya Hey," Vampire Weekend
- "Your Bones," Of Monsters and Men
New CDs in 2015:
- Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler, "Neck and Neck"
- Billy Bragg and Wilco, "Mermaid Avenue"
- Jayhawks, "Paging Mr. Proust"
- Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, "PersonA"
- Marc Bolan and T. Rex, "20th Century Boy"
- Brandi Carlile, "The Firewatcher's Daughter"
- Ornette Coleman, "The Shape of Jazz to Come"
- Jeffrey Foucault, "Salt as Wolves"
- Michael Franti and Spearhead, "Yell Fire!"
- Grateful Dead, "American Beauty"
- Patty Griffin, "Servant of Love"
- Glen Hansard, "Didn't He Ramble"
- Houndmouth, "Little Neon Limelight"
- Orchestra Macaroon, "Breakfast in Balquhidder"
- Jelly Roll Morton, "Library of Congress Recordings (Highlights)"
- R.E.M., "Out of Time"
- Ryley Walker, "Primrose Green"
- Paul Simon, "Graceland"
I've Got the Music In Me Dept.:
I've done some singing myself. I wrote my
first song in 1984, and performed it at the Wesley
Foundation in Urbana, Illinois. Since then I have sung publicly in
Atwood, Farmington, and Macomb, Illinois; and Cedar Rapids, Marion,
Stone City, and Walker, Iowa. I've recorded two CDs, "Mouth Full
of Mustard" (2003) and "Almost Endless Fun" (2008). Both discs are
available for the everyday, low-low price of $10. Never yet in Iowa
City, though. For "Mouth Full of Mustard," half the proceeds goes to
of Music at Coe. The discs may be purchased by contacting me (firstname.lastname@example.org).
"Faithful in the Rain" (videographer: Jane Claspy Nesmith)
Hey, it's good to be back Home
Last update: 5/2/16