"I'm singin' for the love of it... have mercy on the man who sings to
be adored."--JOSH RITTER
I like several genres of music, just as I like
multiple flavors of pies. My favorite type of music is
"singer-songwriter," which is sort of contemporary folk music--less
polished and commercial than pop, more lyrical than rock, similar to
country but with a wider range of subject matter and again less
Other musical links:
- BBC Radio
Scotland (Glasgow): Iain Anderson, Bryan Burnett, Mary Ann Kennedy,
- WYSO (Yellow Springs, Ohio):
- WXPN (Philadelphia,
Pennsylvania): David Dye, Michaela Lejeune, Dan Reed
- American Routes,
syndicated show hosted by Nick Spitzer
- Mountain Stage,
syndicated show hosted by Larry Groce
- World Cafe,
syndicated show hosted by David Dye
Lyrics to folk
and pop songs
My annual list of Ten Notable Albums of 2013 and 2012
along with Favorite Tracks of 2000-09
The encyclopedic All
Music Guide site
one songs on Billboard's
pop chart for any date in history... along with the number ones in Britain
Or look at the whole U.S. top 40 chart for
any week 1955-1999
A handy classical music
Interesting local musical venue: CSPS, 1103 3rd St SE, Cedar
Rapids: big name acts in an intimate atmosphere, and an art gallery.
Top 20 Most Played on iTunes:
- "White Winter Hymnal," Fleet Foxes
- "One Day Like This," Elbow
- "The Lion's Roar," First Aid Kit
- "Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick," Ian Dury and the Blockheads
- "Emmylou," First Aid Kit
- "Like a Rolling Stone," Bob Dylan
- "40 Day Dream," Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros
- "There's a Guy Works Down the Chip Shop Swears He's Elvis,"
- "Disco 2000," Pulp
- "Prince Johnny," St. Vincent
- "Good Morning Britain," Aztec Camera
- "In a Big Country," Big Country
- "Three Little Birds," Bob Marley & the Wailers
- "Alone Again Or," Calexico
- "Home," Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros
- "Four Strong Winds," Ian and Sylvia
- "Lake Marie," John Prine
- "Sunday Morning Coming Down," Johnny Cash
- "Davy's on the Road Again," Manfred Mann's Earth Band
- "Like a Hurricane," Neil Young
Recently purchased tracks on iTunes:
New CDs in 2014:
- "The Bike Song," Mark Ronson
- "Bloodbuzz Ohio," The National
- "Down Down the Deep River," Okkervil River
- "Duquesne Whistle," Bob Dylan
- "The Hipsters," Deacon Blue
- "Ho Hey," Lumineers
- "Invocation," Dayna Kurtz
- "Isn't This World Enough," Admiral Fallow
- "Joy to You Baby," Josh Ritter
- "Little Talks," Of Monsters and Men
- "Live and Die," Avett Brothers
- "Man on Fire," Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes
- "A New Life," Jim James
- "North Side Gal," J.D. MacPherson
- "Northern California Girls," Camper Van Beethoven
- "Out of the Game," Rufus Wainwright
- "Pack Up," Eliza Doolittle
- "The Perfect Life," Moby
- "Same Love," Macklemore & Ryan Lewis fea. Mary Lambert
- "Shapeshifter," Animal Liberation Orchestra
- "Sigourney Weaver," John Grant
- "Simple Song," Shins
- "Some Nights," Fun.
- "Take a Walk," Passion Pit
- "What Colour Are You," Danny Michel
- "Wheel Inside the Wheel," Mary Gauthier
- "Ya Hey," Vampire Weekend
- Ages and Ages, "Divisionary"
- John Coltrane, "Blue Train"
- Karl Denson's Tiny Universe, "New Ammo"
- Earth Wind and Fire, "Holiday"
- First Aid Kit, "Stay Gold"
- Elton John, assorted hits of the 1970s and 1980s
- Sun Ra, "The Nubians of Plutonia" and "Bad and Beautiful"
- St. Vincent, "St. Vincent"
- Bob Seger, "The Distance"
- Tania Elizabeth, "Gods and Omens"
- Temples, "Sun Structures"
- Paul Thorn, "Too Blessed to be Stressed"
I've Got the Music In Me Dept.:
I've done some singing myself. I wrote my
first song in 1984, and performed it at the Wesley
Foundation in Urbana, Illinois. Since then I have sung publicly in
Atwood, Farmington, and Macomb, Illinois; and Cedar Rapids, Marion,
Stone City, and Walker, Iowa. I've recorded two CDs, "Mouth Full
of Mustard" (2003) and "Almost Endless Fun" (2008). Both discs are
available for the everyday, low-low price of $10. For "Mouth Full
of Mustard," half the proceeds goes to the Friends of
Music at Coe. The discs may be purchased by contacting me (email@example.com).
"Faithful in the Rain" (videographer: Jane Claspy Nesmith)
Hey, it's good to be back Home
Last update 12/5/14