- In most respects this text is identical to that in the original
University of Illinois Press edition.
- Where I have found typographical errors in the text of the book, I
have corrected these and indicated the original language in brackets.
- The two figures are located in separate files, with links from the
text when they are useful. While this may not be the handiest arrangement,
the reader can fairly easily move back and forth between text and figures
by using "Back" or the links provided.
- The index has become merely a list. The reader may use "Find"
in the browser to locate specific references.
- If you have corrections or other suggestions, please feel free to
Users should feel free to print personal copies and to quote from this
text. For permission to reprint in multiple copies in any form or
for any commercial purpose contact:
[ Top ]
Department of English
Cedar Rapids, IA 52402
theller at coe dot edu
Note on the Author
Terry Heller is Howard Hall Professor of English at Coe College, Cedar
Rapids, Iowa. His Ph.D. is from the University of Chicago. He is the author
of Bewildered Vision: The Turn of the Screw and editor of the Oxford
Classics edition of Sarah Orne Jewett, The Country of the Pointed Firs.
His essays have appeared in Arizona Quarterly, Gothic, Thalia,
Mississippi Quarterly, Colby Quarterly, and Legacy. He maintains
the Sarah Orne Jewett Text Project, a web archive of Jewett's works.